Thursday, January 29, 2009

Feeling the pressure (1/29/09)

So, school has been good this quarter so far. I am taking General Psychology and Biology 100 (love bio!). It's been tough, but good. But, when is college ever really easy? It has never been easy for me, always a challenge, and always a struggle, but in the past 3 years that I have been in college I have learned to adapt, manage my time, and prioritize my projects. I love school, and I love learning. Well, yesterday everything from both of my classes seemed to start piling up and it hit me..."Wholy crap! I am so overwhelmed right now!" As I sit at the dining room table (which has been converted to my study area, in which I spend at least 4 hours every day that I am not working), I looked at my student planner and realized that mid-terms are coming up next week. Okay, so I am used to studying for exams and mid-terms, no big deal. But here is the part that about sent me into a panic attack....I have two projects due by next week, a chapter to read for this week, and 4 chapters to go over for the mid-term on Tuesday for biology...and I have some videos to watch, two homework assignments to work on, and 4 chapters to study for the mid-term on Wednesday for psychology! What the hell, what is up with all of this busy work being assigned a week before the mid-term? I mean, I understand that college isn't easy and our professors want to challenge us, I get that. But, how can you study and focus when you have three projects to work on at one time!? It's Friday and I still have all of this to do. So, I have plenty of time to get it done and I have a time line planned out, but there is only so much I can do in a day before my brain shuts down. I feel like I go through this every quarter, but these classes have more busy work than I am used to, thank god I only took these two classes. I study for at least 4 hours a day and that isn't really enough, but by the time I am done my brain is toast. So, today is Thursday and I start my three day work week at Trader Joe's tomorrow night. I did have a client to train tonight but he had to cancel and I am actually thankful for that, it gives me an hour and a half more to study and I don't have to worry about getting dressed and heading into the gym tonight, which means I can break up my study sessions a little more. So, when I get out of school today, I will head out for my long run, which is 8 miles right now, come home and shower, and then hit to books until I can't see strait anymore. I am definitely feeling the pressure right now, and I hope that I am able to focus and slow my mind down so that I can retain all of the information that I am studying. I know, I know, boo-hoo...I'm whining and complaining and sound like a big baby, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to bust my ass and get all of this stuff done. I just hope I get a good grade on my mid-terms and in my classes at the end of the quarter. I just needed to vent, I feel better now. So, off to school I go. WooHoo!

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand about the school! I'm taking 2 classes also, but it feels like a lot b/c once I get home from work I'm already tired. On top of that trying to do homework and follow a regular workout schedule feels CRAZY some days. I just take a deep breath, tell myself I CAN DO IT!!!, and dive in. Good luck :D

    ReplyDelete