Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Giving up something for Lent

In my search for answers, self improvement, growth, and cleansing...I have decided to give up something for lent. Now, I am loosely starting this today, and am going to be preparing myself (since I only decided to do this on a whim this morning) all day today for my next 40 days. This will be no easy task, giving up something completely for an extended period of time never is, but I am up for the challenge! I need this, and can do this!
I have been doing some research this morning to find out exactly what lent is and if you can do it if you are not catholic. I am spiritual, but not religious. I read that lent simply means "the spring season", and since I am trying to do some spring cleaning of my own (mentally and spiritually), I think that this is going to be a fun challenge! I found this when I was researching lent this morning and it really motivated me "Lent is a time for soul-searching, facing great challenges and overcoming mistakes." I am really in need of some soul-searching, so what a great way to get focused!
I also thought this was interesting (not news to any of you, but since I didn't really know what lent was, I found this helpful) "Give up something you love for the 40-day period, symbolizing the Lenten season's return to simplicity and purity. It doesn't matter what you give up - cigarettes, chocolate, television, surfing the Internet - as long as the meaning of its absence holds significant value to you."
So, what am I going to be giving up....I'm sure you are just dying to know! I'm going to give up sugary junk foods, basically anything that contains refined sugars, like cookies, candy, cake, etc. I have been trying to find a way to motivate myself to really stay away from this crap for a while as a way to cleanse my body...and here is my motivation!! I think this is great too because now I will have to find more creative ways to make healthy yet satisfying snacks when I am feeling that urge to have something sweet.
I just have a little bit of trail mix in my car that has white chocolate chips in it that I will finish today because I don't want to waste food, and then it's on! So, who's with me on giving up something for lent!?
Email me on my facebook , or post a comment and let me know. It would be fun to have other people to do this with and check in with..kind of like a support system. Of course, you don't have to give up the same thing that I am, but it's more about the self control facing the challenge.
I will keep you all posted and let you know how I am doing! Oh man, I spent too much time doing this and now I am going to be late for school! Bye guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment