Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My quest for new and delicious teas!

Well, today has been a rather productive and happy day for me. School, and other things have been kicking my ass lately and I finally have some time to catch up on my blog. I didn't make my egg white omelet today, so no pics...sorry. Like I said, I have been rather busy.
School today was good and for the first time in a while, I had energy when I woke up and was actually able to focus during class. I found this amazing tea the other day (okay, it was never really lost, I had just never heard of it)! My friend makes it and had recommended that I try some and if I liked it, she was going to bottle some up for me. It's called Synergy Kombucha, and is sold in bottles, not tea bags. Synergy is the brand and kombucha is the type of tea, which she makes, and it is so good! I found it at Marlene's (for those of you who don't live over here, Marlene's is a natural food store). This stuff is kind of expensive, so I might see if my friend can show me how to make it, it's so good for you and is so damn tasty! Here is a pic of the two flavors that I have tried so far, Trilogy and Cosmic Cranberry....so yummy!



I was also looking for some new tea to add to my collection since I have been on a tea kick lately. I did a toxin report for my biology class on formaldehyde, and am also working on a research project on sucralose and aspartame. After the extremely disturbing things that I have learned thus far about man-made artificlial sweeteners, I have completely sworn off diet soda and anything labeled "sugar free". I work so hard on a daily basis to make sure that I am putting clean whole foods into my body as well as exercising and staying fit....and then I go and drink a diet soda or use Sweet n' Low and cover all of that hard work up with man made chemicals that won't ever break down in my body and are basically poisoning me. What I have learned has been a total eye opener! So, instead of that afternoon or evening soda, I have been drinking tea. And, why not? I have a nice tea collection, and it's much healthier than diet soda....not to mention it tastes better and is really soothing on these cold days. There is nothing better than coming home from a cold run, taking a shower, and then sitting down in my jammies with my homework and a nice cup of hot tea! I recently went through and did an inventory on my teas just to see what I have, here's a pic of my little collection.



And, these are the teas that I picked up from a tea house in Beijing when I was in China. It was so awesome! This place was like the Costco of loose and bagged teas. They had everything from the least expensive tea to the tea that cost thousands of yuan an ounce. When we went there, they took us into a little room in the back of the tea house and we got to sample as many teas as we wanted to. We just kept picking them out and the manager kept bringing them for us to try. I tell ya, we were a wired bunch when we left there. I ended up getting loose organic green tea, loose organic Pu'er tea (which is a black tea), and this tea called Flower tea that starts out as flowers and blooms when hot water is added. It was one of the more expensive teas but I couldn't resist, it tasted heavenly and looked beautiful in the big glass kettle.



This is what the flower tea looks like..



Okay, I digress....back to my mission for new tea. When I was at Marlene's on my tea mission, I knew I wanted to pick up some Yogi tea since I love that brand, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to get. Caffinated, decaf, detox, green...etc. There is just so much to choose from. I decided to get a new one that they have out called Ginko IQ.



It's supposed to help with cerebral functioning by refreshing brain cells with an abundance of blood and oxygen (and let's be honest here, I could really use some brain refreshing these days). Since I have a ridiculously hard time remembering things and focusing when I am in class lately I thought...what the hell, I'll try it. Well, I don't know if it's all in my head, or if this tea actually helps with brain function, but I have been brewing it up and taking it to school with me in the morning, and drinking it in the afternoons while doing my homework and I have been more alert than I was before. It has been easier for me to pay attention and keep focused in class, which is a great thing. Not that I'm not interested in my classes, but I just have such a hard time "waking up" and being alert in the mornings lately and it makes it hard for me to remember lectures. So, I'm going to keep drinking it and see if anything improves.
I do know that since I have stopped drinking diet soda and using artificial sweeteners, that I have been feeling better. I have been sleeping a little better and have had more energy. I know that these dangerous man made chemicals will never leave my body, but I am going to do what I can to keep them out of there from here on out. Plus, now that I am not drinking that crap anymore....it just gives me more opportunities to drink new and delicious tea! If you guys have any suggestions on any new teas that I should try, please leave a comment and let me know!
Oh, and before I head out and off to bed...Yogi is sending out free samples of some of their new teas. Mine are on the way and should be here in about 4 weeks! Just go to http://www.yogitea.com/Pages/FreeSamples.html.
Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment